My Top 5 Books of 2014

Time for one of my favorite posts - best books of the year!

And just to be clear, these are my favorite books that I read in 2014, not books published in 2014. Links take you to the book's page on goodreads.

My top 5 in no particular order:

The Enchanted by Rene DenfeldA heartbreaking story of the Lady, a death row inmate, and a priest. Easily one of the best books I've ever read, and it will definitely make you think! Be warned - it contains dark subject matter. I could only read in small portions.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt - It's the story of June, who loses her Uncle Finn to AIDS, and the strange man she first notices at his funeral. But it's also the story of June and her sister Greta, the pains of growing up, and what it means to love someone. Beautiful writing and a story that will stay with you for a while.

Something Real by Heather Demetrios - This one's about Bonnie™/Chloe Baker, a 17 year old who doesn't want to be on her family's reality show any more. Of course her mother won't let her and drama follows. I loved the teen characters - certainly Chloe, but also her bother Benton, and boyfriend Patrick.

Rats Saw God by Rob Thomas - The story of a teenage boy dealing with his parents' divorce and falling in love for the first time. Sounds so cliché but it's not. Also, the ending: WHOA.

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor - A good, old-fashioned YA fantasy + romance with the added bonus of exotic locations. Loved it! I adore stories where I'm figuring things out with the characters and there was certainly plenty of that going on. Skillfully written, and all the characters were well done, not just Karou.

And if you're interested in more . . Jessica's top 10 of 2014 and RA's top books of 2013.

Comments

  1. The Enchanted made it to my top 3 list. Like you, I had to read it in bits. So disturbing! But so brilliantly written and it, I believe, makes the reader more empathetic and open to different perspectives. I never thought I would be open to capital punishment, but the warden's thoughts and words made it so. Ironically!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree - lots to think about! And I appreciated that good and bad (actions and characters) weren't painted as black and white.

      Delete
    2. If both of you loved The Enchanted then I'm taking that as given and will hunt it down to read!

      I'm loving the recommendations from 'end of year' recommendations lists!

      Delete
    3. Me too! End of year lists are where I get many of my favorites :)

      Delete
  2. They sound like they were a memorable bunch of books! The plot line of Something Real is a great idea and so current!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely memorable! Something Real is a quick read but a disturbing concept. Makes you wonder about the kids who actually star in reality tv programs . .

      Delete
  3. These all look really interesting. I totally dig your book reviews and the funny thing is.. if I even pick up one book to read for pleasure in a year than it has been a good year for reading for me. I came across this article today and it freaked me out a little bit: http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-09-18/your-paper-brain-and-your-kindle-brain-arent-same-thing. I might just have to add reading books to my 2015 goals! I used to devour books as a kid and lately I'm finding a lot of joy in revisiting things I liked to do in my childhood (like skating!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really interesting link, Kristy! (I'm a teacher and gathering links like this, what with all our schools shifting to reading on iPads etc.)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link Kristy - a little concerning! Now I have another reason for why I insist on buying paper copies of books for everyone at Christmastime :)

      Best of luck with your reading in 2015 - I find always having a book available helps me read more. Or maybe read a chapter book you loved as a kid with your boys? My dad and I used to read a chapter together every night and it's one of my fondest memories :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the book recommendations! I'm reading A Walk Across the Sun right now, and it's really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help :) I'll have to check out A Walk Across the Sun on goodreads!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love comments - please leave one (or twelve)!

Popular posts from this blog

Good-bye April, Hello May!

Vegetarian Version of Olive Garden's Chicken Gnocchi Soup

Getting Enough Protein as a Vegetarian