Dip for Dinner

Growing up, my parents were strict about certain things. Like, it really bugs me when someone leaves a room (knowing full well they don't plan on coming back any time soon) and they don't turn off the light. So that's probably something that my (someday) children will have burned into their brains because I'll be so persistent about it. Likewise, my parents were stringent about pajamas. Every night, I would change into my pajamas before bed. Why I'm not entirely sure, but it was a hard and fast rule. 

Except one time when I got sick at a friend's house and they had to come pick me up pretty late at night. They tucked me right into bed in my clothes! I don't fully remember going to sleep that night because I was so out of it, but you can bet I was shocked in the morning when I woke up in regular clothes. I even questioned my parents about it later because it was just so weird, you know? After that, I would ask to sleep in my clothes every few months, and sometimes they'd let me. I always felt such glee doing it (probably because it was usually forbidden), ha! :)

And by now, you're probably wondering what this has to do with dip. Well I got that same guilty pleasure feeling earlier this week when I made dip in place of a meal. The healthiest choice? Nope. But certainly the more fun choice. ;)
Mine has tiny green pieces because I shredded this cheese right after I shredded spinach in the food processor. I figured it wasn't going to hurt any one to have a few tiny pieces of spinach hanging out in the dip (and it saved me some dishwashing, woot), but it did give some portions of the cheese topping an odd greenish tinge - so be warned.


Pizza Dip

• 1 cup tomato sauce
• 2 - 3 ounces cream cheese
• 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

• 
1/2 - 1 cup mozzarella cheese

Instructions
Saute tomato sauce and cream cheese until the cheese melts. Add parmesan cheese and half of the mozzarella cheese and cook until melted. Pour into 1 quart baking dish (I've used a 1 1/2 quart and the world didn't end). Top with remaining mozzarella cheese and cook at 375 degrees until bubbly (about 10 minutes). Serve with bread or chips and enjoy!



In the mood for more dip? I also made spinach dip this past weekend (recipe here) and it was so delicious that I have zero pictures of it after it came out of the oven. It was gone faster than Yogi Bear could've cleaned out a picnic basket :) So instead, here's Martha's expert photo of the dip.

Ever eat a non-traditional dinner and feel a little guilty about it?

linking up here and here

Comments

  1. Pizza dip sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was - I'm a sucker for anything with cheese :)

      Delete
  2. I'm always up for dip for dinner! Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt a little weird, but I'll definitely be doing it again in the future!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love comments - please leave one (or twelve)!

Popular posts from this blog

Good-bye April, Hello May!

Vegetarian Version of Olive Garden's Chicken Gnocchi Soup

Getting Enough Protein as a Vegetarian