• 1 tablespoon oil (I used grape seed oil)
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 chopped pepper/capsicum (I used bell pepper, feel free to also add hot pepper)
• 1/2 teaspoon thyme
• 2 cloves minced garlic
• 3/4 cup basmati rice
• 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
• 2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
• 15 ounce can black eyed peas, rinsed
• 1-2 zucchini
• 1/2 cup vegan sausage, crumbled (I like Mexican Chipotle by Field Roast)
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add onion, pepper, and thyme. Cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and rice, cook for about a minute. Add the vegetable broth and tomato paste, season with salt and pepper as needed. Bring to a gentle boil, then turn heat down to low and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes. While it cooks, cut the zucchini down the center (scrape out seeds if preferred), then slice in half moon shapes. Add the black eyed peas and zucchini to skillet (and sausage/chili powder if using). Cook for about 10 more minutes, until rice is ready. Enjoy!
This made a little more than 3 servings. Let me know what you think if you try it!