Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Grilled Cheese Pasta with Broccoli

Sometimes I shy away from recipes with unfamiliar ingredients because I don't want to waste time or money on something gross. But this Hello Fresh recipe tempted me because the new ingredient was just a type of cheese. Grilling cheese to be exact. I'm so glad I took a chance on this one because it's delicious. 
You cube the cheese and pan fry it, so it has a slight crust on the outside and remains gooey on the inside. Mmm! 

It also calls for sprinkling pumpkin seeds over the top (which I never would've thought to add to a pasta dish), and I loved it. Adds a nice crunch :)
Hello Fresh says the recipe serves 2, but we each ate this for dinner, plus I got a lunch out of it. If you try it, let me know what you think! :)

Do you like to cook with new foods?

linking up here and here

8 comments:

  1. I'm not very experimental with new foods unless someone really talks me into their "best of" recipes. I'd never tried pea sprouts until someone gave me their Vietnamese Salad recipe. Now I love them! This recipe looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a special weakness for people's best or favorite recipes as well. If someone likes it that much, I usually take the risk and try it :)

      Delete
  2. Looks very yummy. Never heard of grilling cheese. Did it taste just like normal cheddar/tasty cheese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends on what kind you buy . . it's traditionally made with sheep's milk, which I've heard makes it more like feta. The cow's milk version is all I can find. It's salty and firm on the outside but melty like mozzarella on the inside, and the flavor is mild like cheddar.

      Delete
  3. I have been wanting to try the grilling cheese - it's called halloumi, I think? I thought I would add some to veg skewers on the barbecue. The weather is improving, so maybe soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same cheese! I bet it would be delicious on the grill - great idea! :)

      Delete
  4. Now let you in on a secret of my travels- there are two grilled cheese - there is Cretian Haloumi, which I find squeaks when you eat it! Then there's saganaki (which I think is more the name of the cooking style) which is pan fried cheese, also Greek, but separate in taste to the rather salty haloumi (which I can only handle so much of).

    I have no idea re: animals milk they are made from, but it's certainly part of my cultural education when I was travelling. I didn't know of saganaki til I was there, though I had been exposed to haloumi prior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea! How cool :) This cheese is squeaky so it must be the haloumi version.

      Delete

I love comments - please leave one (or twelve)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...