What I Read: November 2014

The short answer:  not much.

The long answer:  I started four books this month, only finished two. The ones I managed to complete . .
  • El Deafo by Cece Bell - Delightful. A graphic novel about a girl (rabbit) who is going through the journey of growing up coupled with the challenges of being deaf. I also enjoyed Cece's book Rabbit & Robot: The Sleepover though it's written for a much younger audience.
  • Firebug by Lish McBride - A new series about Ava, a firebug (set in the same supernatural world as Lish's other books, so the two can eventually intersect), trying to escape her magical boss, Venus. I think I like these books so much because all the characters seem so effortlessly cool, even when they're floudering. This will be my last Lish McBride book for a while - I have to wait a few years for her next one to be published.

I left The BIG Disconnect unfinished (I know the author's trying to make her point about limiting technology, but every anecdote leans toward the extreme and I can only take so many depressing stories). Seabiscuit is on my nightstand now, waiting for me to give it a second go. The beginning is just very slow.

Read anything good lately?

Comments

  1. It looks like you and I both read Tomboy this week! I am still reading Me Before You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up the reviews of The BIG Disconnect - it has definitely had very mixed reviews. Think I'll still give it a go though if I can get a copy...very interested in the topic. So many schools in our city have gone down the iPad path, it's amazing how many kids have an iPad in their hands for a large part of the school day, let alone all the technology at home.

    The other books sound interesting, too. I haven't finished a book for 2 months but will be on holidays from next week - lots of reading time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy The BIG Disconnect - it came well recommended to me. :)

      Yay holidays! How exciting!

      Delete
  3. Sometimes you just have got to walk away.

    My finishing has been less in December but hopefully next week I'll wrap up a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Hopefully the books I have checked out now are better.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love comments - please leave one (or twelve)!

Popular posts from this blog

Good-bye April, Hello May!

Vegetarian Version of Olive Garden's Chicken Gnocchi Soup

Getting Enough Protein as a Vegetarian